Blog: Social networking sites

Facebook
My impression of Facebook is that there are a lot of visuals. Without even asking it to, a video about a band member of PussyRiot starts playing from the Vice channel, Noisey. In a few more scrolls a video about how to make butternut squash risotto will play from Bon Appetit. All of this content has been catered to me based on what I "like" and what I read on the internet. When it comes to the people I am "friends" with on Facebook there is a lot of information about their activity on the site as well. I will see posts that my mother has commented on all day long. The older friends I have on Facebook take up my news feed as much as the publications I mentioned before do. Facebook is also a way to have a private conversation with people which is mostly what I use it for. It's like texting, which is hard if you have a lot of international friends who will not receive your iMessages. 

Twitter
I log onto my twitter and I am also bombarded by images. They have clearly changed the layout to compete more with social media sites like Facebook and Instagram. I have a hard time following the bits of information on twitter, I think because it moves so quickly and the posts seem very small. Why is there a tweet from exon mobile on my feed? I would have never followed them. Why am I seeing tweets "liked" by someone I follow? I a so confused on here, it's like I am a grandma. I go to look at my high school aged sisters twitter account and see its just a compilation of external links and retweets that fit in her interests. She rarely tweets something as herself. This is one of the ways the younger generation is using it, almost like a quilt of all of their interests. 

Tumblr
Tumblr is something I have used since I was 13 or 14 and still continue to use it today. Professionally, journalist publications will use it similarly to a blog with long written pieces. For me, it is mostly a way to expose myself to art. I choose who I follow and I don't see anything outside of that list except for maybe a few promotion posts here and there. I follow artists, artist appreciation blogs, art history blogs, and a few friends. It is nice to have a feed like Tumblr that is catered to me BY  me as opposed to the creepy watchful Facebook way of doing things. It is also mostly images so it doesn't feel too loud. My own tumblr page is mostly a compilation of images and information that I find reflects me and my interests. 

Instagram
Instagram the way I see it is similar to Tumblr. Used on a phone, one image takes up almost the whole screen. There are less words unless the post is indeed of words, which occurs mostly with the political accounts I follow. Instagram has less of an agenda than any of these social media sites on a personal level. However on a professional level Instagram is one of the most affective tools to reach your customers and create a bigger following. Nowadays my insta feed is also cluttered with more advertisements and promoted posts. I will say that this is less disrupting than on other sites though because I don't always look to see who posted them and therefore don't realize I'm being advertised to, which is beneficial on their end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next New

Creativity and New Media